Friday, May 2, 2014

DIY Gingersnap Chocolate Coffee Mix

(Gingersnap chocolate coffee mix- ready to enjoy!)

As many of you know, I love coffee conditionally. Yep, coffee and me, we have a love-hate relationship stemming from my first year master's and long nights drinking mochas at Café Dépot in the Plateau. Since I could only tolerate coffee with loads of chocolate, my mocha habit soon became quite expensive. My solution? Purchase a coffee maker, travel mug and bars of dark chocolate to chop up and dump into my coffee.

(Offensive straight up cocoa powder...)

Over the years I have moved to drinking my coffee black with a bit of honey, but my preference for something spicy and chocolatey hasn't abated.

(whole nutmegs are the best spice investment I have ever made)

Since we were gifted the Aeropress I've been melting about half a cup of dark chocolate icecream and milk (poor stomach!) and adding it to my coffee on the weekends. This is a crazy plan though, since a) ice cream hurts my stomach and b) I should just get some sort of mix. Since I don't like hot chocolate, and figured that these mixes would be too sweet or "milk chocolate" tasting, I recently purchased a tin of dark cocoa powder. To my absolute horror, I wanted to spit out my first mouthful, it was that awful.

Note: I like some sugar.


(Even better would have been dark brown sugar...)

I decided that instead of wasting the entire tin of organic cocoa powder, I should make my very own chocolate mix exactly how I like it: a bit spicy and sweet. The result? A delicious gingersnap flavour that is *just* sweet enough to make me happy.

(Complete and ready for enjoyment!)

Chocolate Gingersnap Coffee Mix:
Ingredients:
(I highly recommend you taste as you go and adjust accordingly)

1/2 cup of organic cocoa powder
1/2 cup and 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
4 teaspoons of ginger
1/4 cup of cinnamon (I may have added closer to 1/3...)
2 teaspoons of clove
8 scrapes of fresh nutmeg (or a pinch of powder)

In a medium bowl add the drink ingredients. Using a small whisk, sift together. If you have sugar clumps, use a spoon to mash against the side of the bowl. Grate in the nutmeg. Whisk.
Add to a large mason jar.

1 teaspoon (or more) per cup of coffee. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I can practically smell the aromas.

    Are you still loving your Aeropress?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! So I don't miss a comment, I like "pre-approving" them :)
I ask only that we stay respectful.
Also, please note that this is a personal blog and not a space for advertising your company. I reserve the right to delete "advertising" comments.

**NB: The ANONYMOUS option is the BEST way to comment if you don't have a blogger or established google/gmail account.
Merci!