Friday, December 27, 2013

3rd Day of Halifax Yuletide: Carrot Ginger Coconut Soup!

Today I woke up with half my face stuffed up and with the aches. Only one week left of vacation. Great.

I decided, after a morning spent tidying up and packing, that I would treat myself to (two!) Smiling Goat Coffees. As I walked down Queen Street, with the snow gently falling, I realized that I would greatly miss the ability to just up and wander downtown on my days off.

After a few hours of reading I realized that what I really and truly wanted was to try to replicate the most delicious carrot ginger soup I have ever had... which was at Morris East (Bedford Location). And so, I made my way to Pete's... which is a convenience I will miss.

On the Third Day of Yuletide my True Love Gave to Me: Pete's Frootique

Pete's Frootique, although not perfect, is a convenient place to quickly pick up some fresh and local fruits and veggies (you just have to read the labels carefully), some soap and body butter making supplies, along with fancy and different ingredients. The original Pete's is in Bedford, but it just won't be the same as stopping in on my afternoon wanders to pick up something fun and tasty for supper.

I remember growing up watching Pete share his favourite fruits and veggies on Live at Five (CTV, oh yeah!). Since then his business has grown exponentially with three stores, his own line of products AND his own (delicious) vineyard! Originally from England, Pete Luckett has his own consulting company.

There was a time when Pete's had a live piano player playing ragtime on an old piano in the Bedford store location. How neato is that?

In order to try to combat my cold, I picked up some organic local carrots, ginger, organic coconut milk and organic vegetable broth- figuring I could modify this carrot miso soup recipe from Smitten Kitchen... Crossed my fingers and what do ya know? It tastes delicious!

So, here's my adjusted Carrot Ginger Coconut Soup (admittedly not as amazing as Morris East, but pretty darn close!)

EcoYogini's Carrot Ginger Coconut Soup

(all ready for tomorrow's lunch!)
Ingredients:
2 lbs of peeled thinly sliced carrots (local is best, since fresher is always better with carrots re: flavour)
3 chopped cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons (could have been 4) of freshly grated ginger
1 can of organic coconut milk
3 cups of organic vegetable broth
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 onion chopped
salt-pepper to taste (Andrew said he put "a bunch" of salt in the soup, I would say a tsp)
(extra kick: 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper flakes)

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Before it gets too hot, add the carrots, onion and garlic and stir until onion is translucent (about 10min). Add broth, coconut milk and ginger. Cover and simmer for about 30min (or until carrots are tender).

Using an immersion blender, blend up the soup. If you want a less thick soup, using a bowl and a mesh strainer (or cheese cloth) and the soup ladle, strain the soup.

Serves 4-6 bowls. :) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So funny. I just pinned a similar soup (with chicken broth) to try (was going to substitute veg broth). Can't wait to try it, it looks yummy.

    By the way, before I forget, I've been meaning to wish you congrats and best of luck with the new home!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! So I don't miss a comment, I like "pre-approving" them :)
I ask only that we stay respectful.
Also, please note that this is a personal blog and not a space for advertising your company. I reserve the right to delete "advertising" comments.

**NB: The ANONYMOUS option is the BEST way to comment if you don't have a blogger or established google/gmail account.
Merci!